Sunday, December 21, 2008

Funky Chunky Applesauce

Once you have homemade applesauce, you'll never go back to that Mott's crap. It couldn't be easier. 10 minutes prep time.

  • 10 cooking apples (Granny Smith, Jonathan, Jonagold, etc). I think it's best to mix 'em up
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 3 tablespoons of cinnamon
  • 1/2 tablespoon nutmeg

  • Peel the apples and slice them into wedges.
  • Throw into crockpot
  • Throw other ingredients on top

Put lid on crockpot and cook for 2 hours on high. Stir. Apples should be falling apart. If not, cook another 30 minutes. Ideally, you want some of the apples to be still chunky and others to have turned into mush. When you get to ideal Funky Chunky phase, remove crock from heater, place in fridge to cool. That's it.

Notes: I don't really measure my cinnamon and nutmeg. I just sorta shake until it looks right.

This can be served cold, or eat it warm right from the crock.

To peel apples, I use the Apple Peeler and Corer and to slice into wedges I use a Stainless Steel Apple Slicer/Corer

No comments: