Saturday, December 20, 2008

Dec 20, 2008 - The Power of Total Transparency

Yesterday's work meeting brought out a concept that you hear about, but is rarely explained - "Total Transparency" (TT). With TT, you make yourself completely responsible for your actions, whether that's your personal work, the work of your department or just your private actions. By announcing your goals and your mission and then letting everyone see your progress (warts and all), you become more in-tune with the process because you know that all eyes are on you.

This is why is I post not only the food that I eat but I record my daily weight. Want to feel vulnerable? Post your weight on the internet and then invite the world to take a look and comment. I *guarantee* you will immediately take steps to correct your actions.

At yesterday's Christmas party I told my boss' boss what I was doing with Snap It Fatty. She loved the idea and how it tied into our department's vision statement - the goal being to create a statement that is made public and we are then held accountable for our stated words. Total Transparency. Try it. It's scary - and very empowering.

Breakfast - 2 cups of coffee. Flax Oil tab. (Oh, and I switched from Half & Half to whole milk this past week.)

Lunch - Oops. Skipped breakfast. Lunch was the leftover chicken cordon bleu and mashed potatoes from yesterday's lunch. 1/2 a baked yam. And a cookie. I think after all of this I deserved a cookie.

Dinner - A fabulous dinner party, but we didn't start eating til about 9pm. I had a glass of wine, a light plate of pork, green beans, sweet potatoes, home made applesauce. There was also some oyster casserole, but after a tiny taste, I left that behind. For dessert, I had them cut me a 1/2 piece of the chocolate mousse cake, and then only ate 1/4 of it.


No comments: