Thursday, March 12, 2009

March 12 - A Word of Caution. (Caution: Rant ahead)

I'm still sort of reeling over the vociferous statements of concern about my decision to lose the additional 20 lbs (now 17 lbs). Frankly, I think it's an odd statement about our society.

My BMI is at 26.7. According to the medical charts, that still puts me in the overweight category. According to the height/weight charts, I should still lose between 20-30 more pounds. According to the ideal fat percentage charts, I could still lose 15% or more body fat.

And yet, there's this big outrage about someone trying to lose weight to obtain those recommended goals.

Where were you people when I was stuffing my face with cake? Where were the complaints when I was eating boxes of girl scout cookies - sometimes up to two boxes a day? Who was shouting when I'd consume over 6,000 calories in a 24-hour period?

Was anyone brave enough to speak out about the risk of heart attack? diabetes? stroke? Did anyone point out that being out of breath at the top of a flight of stairs was an indication that something wasn't correct? Did anyone give two shakes about my cholesterol?

The answer is no. No one spoke out. No one expressed concern. And by saying nothing, we give permission for others to live an unhealthy lifestyle. "If I'm fat, then it's ok for everyone to be fat. We can all be fat together and turn a blind eye to the problems down the road."

Look, I know that it's no fun being overweight. I will be a life-long fatty. After all of the weight has dropped off and I'm at my goal weight, I will be battling that box of doughnuts in the office and that pint of ice cream in the freezer every single day. Losing weight doesn't make me any better or worse than anyone else. It doesn't make food choices any easier. I've made a choice to change my body in hopes of a healthier future.

So, before everyone jumps on the bandwagon of trying to persuade someone to drop his goals and have a piece of pie, I suggest checking out your own situation. I have marked clear cut goals from the beginning of this project. I have chosen a path of weight loss that works for me. I'm not doing supplements or methods that make me lose weight at a dangerous pace. I worked in the health industry for 12 years and now I work in a hospital. I'd like to think I've learned a couple of things over the years.

So, thank you for your concern. I'll 'weigh in' after I hit my goal weight and tell you if I'm pleased with the results or if I need to gain a few.

OK - rant over. Have a nice day.

Breakfast - Coffee/Flax Oil Gel Tab. 1/2 cup Fiber One Cereal

Lunch - Small Spinach salad

Snack - 2 caramel rice cakes

Dinner - YUMMY Tomato/Onion/Garlic quick sauce with 1 cup of noodles.