Monday, April 27, 2009

April 28 - This is What I'm Talkin' About, Willis

Saturday and Sunday I walked until I thought I was going to drop. I marched my carcass up and down the streets of Chicago until my shins begged for mercy, and then I walked some more. This morning, I still feel the lingering pains of shin splints for the walking, walking, walking over the last 48 hours.

And yet, when I jumped on the scale this morning, I'm up a couple of pounds. Why? Because, as in the past, I lulled myself into thinking that by "doing all of this extra exercise" I was going to magically burn off that second Auntie Anne's pretzel. That strolling through Nordstrom Rack was going to burn off that huge fritata from breakfast. That power walking Michigan Avenue would make that cookie disappear.

I used to make that mistake when I was teaching fitness classes -- after jumping up and down for an hour, I'd go out to eat a decent sized dinner, chips and a piece of cheesecake.

I have to be honest and say that restricting the number of calories I consume is my best defense. Fewer calories in equals a thinner me. You'll note that at no point have I starved myself - just chose to eat less.

It's back to beans and salads for the week, kids!

Breakfast - Coffee. Flax Oil Gel Tab

Lunch - Spinach Salad.

Dinner - Black Beans w/some cheese.

No comments: